I just received the latest Addison Road cd (Stories) in the mail, along with a pretty cool looking t-shirt. I got turned on to Addison Road when they performed a concert over at Warsaw Community Church. I enjoyed their intense passion & message and really enjoyed their music. I started following them on Twitter and on their website and kept up with their music. Since I received this new album, I thought I would do a quick review for you.
There are 10 songs on this album. I’ve listed them below and given my short thoughts on them as well:
- Fight Another Day
- Great song to encourage you when you’re facing a difficult time-when you’re finding it hard to keep going. Great reminders to “…have a little faith when the walls cave in, [to] pray for strength to fly against the wind…”
- Change in the Making
- So far this is my favorite tune on the entire album. I like both it’s sound and message.
- This song speaks to the ongoing work that Christ is performing in us. “…this is redemption’s story / with every step that I’m taking / every day / You’re chipping away / what I don’t need / this is me under construction / this is my pride being broken / and every day I’m closer to who I’m meant to be / I’m a change in the making…”
- This Little Light of Mine
- One of the songs that I really don’t care for. The music is catchy – the message is deceiving, in my opinion
- “…there’s a little flame inside us all…don’t forget whose child you are” and “…there’s a little light inside us all…” – these lyrics tied to the relationship we experience with Christ in the song can present a serious problem. The truth is that there is not “a little light inside us all”. The reality is that there are believers and unbelievers – those that accept Christ and those that reject him.
- Won’t Let Me Go
- What an encouragement this song is! The absolute trust that we can put in Jesus Christ when our life turns into whirlwind of disaster!
- “…even when my heart breaks / and everything’s shaken / I’m left alone in the rain / you won’t, you won’t, won’t / you won’t let me go / when life’s insane / and everything’s crazy / you carry me through the pain / and you won’t, you won’t, won’t / you won’t let me go
- Need You Now
- A terrific song that encourages the listener to stop trusting in self and realize their need to be totally dependent on Jesus Christ.
- Show Me Life
- Forgetting what lies behind, I press on for the prize… that’s the message of this song.
- Don’t Wait
- One of the songs that I find myself playing “air drums” and “air guitar” to. Love this tune!
- The message is a sobering, speaking to the loss of a friend. The realization that we cannot squander life, but we need to live today because it is the time we are given. Don’t Wait…live life with no regrets.
- Where it all Begins
- This song speaks to the writer being “twenty-nine” – I don’t even remember 29!
- It is a good song that speaks to the reality doing the “gut check” and making sure we are living as we are supposed to.
- Who I Am in You
- Living a life dependent on the grace of our Lord and Savior is a scary proposition. This song speaks to the desire…and the fear…that might accompany someone who desires to be “grace dependent”.
- There is intense satisfaction in being who God wants us to be – when we realize that, we realize that everything else was just “…pulling me under, in too deep…”
- My Story
- A prayerful song expressing desire to follow God wholeheartedly and solely – to remain un-distracted from all the other “opportunities” out there.
Overall I would highly recommend this album for your consideration. I like the sound of Addison Road and I appreciate their message overall.
Questions to consider:
- What is your favorite Addison Road song?
- Have you purchased the album “Stories” yet?